Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about Royalty Checks

Questions about Unpaid or Suspended Royalties

Questions about other topics




Q:   When are royalty checks mailed each month?

A:   They are mailed on the 25th unless this day is a holiday or weekend; then they will be mailed on the first business day after the holiday or weekend. For example, if 7/25/XX falls on a Sunday, royalty checks will be mailed on 7/26/XX.

Back to top

Q:   Why haven't I received my check?

A:    Please wait ten business days to give the mail ample time for delivery before contacting Hilcorp. Our minimum check amount is $100.00. If, due to fluctuation in volumes and/or prices, your accrued amount is less than $100.00, there will be no check issued that month. You may, however, request that funds be issued to you when your accrued amount reaches $25.00. Download the $25 Minimum Check Form (PDF). Smaller revenue amounts that fail to meet the minimums above are accumulated month to month until they meet the minimum, at which time you will receive a check. Smaller revenue amounts that have accumulated to more than $10 per owner are paid at least once annually, in October. Other reasons for not receiving a check include that your interest may have been placed in suspense due to bad address, transfer of interest, or title dispute.

Back to top

Q:   What do I do if my check is lost, stolen, or becomes outdated?

A:   Contact our Owner Relations at 713-209-2457 to request payment if your check has been lost or stolen. Please have the following information ready when you call:

Your name
Your owner number
Your taxpayer identification number

We will verify the status of your check with our Treasury Department and stop payment if the check is outstanding. The funds will be made available again through reissue to you under a new check number. If your check is over 90 days old, it will not be honored. Please void the check and return it with a written request to reissue to:

Hilcorp Energy Company
Attn: Owner Relations
PO Box 61229
Houston, TX 77208-1229

Back to top

Q:   Why does my monthly payment sometimes vary?

A:   Many factors contribute to your payment, including: market conditions, regulatory or contractual changes, diminished production, seasonal conditions, and downtime.

Back to top

Q:   Why does my payment differ from others in my family?

A:   This occurs because ownership between family members is not equal, because one party has not provided Hilcorp with a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN, or Social Security Number), or because some family members may own an interest in other properties in addition to those commonly owned.

Back to top

Q:   What kind of taxes are deducted from my check?

A:   Generally, state severance taxes are deducted. Further, if you do not provide us your Social Security Number, we may withhold federal income tax as required by the Internal Revenue Service. If you’re a non-resident alien, we may deduct federal income tax from your check.

Back to top

Q:   What are the deductions on my check?

A:   The deductions are usually transportation or gathering charges.

Back to top



Q:   How do I find unclaimed funds in my name?

A:   Please visit the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrator (NAUPA) website at to locate and collect unclaimed funds in your name.

Back to top

Q:   Why are royalty payments suspended?

A:   The reasons for suspending your revenue are: title dispute, death of owner, transfer of ownership, unknown address, unexecuted division order, escheated, legal requirement, lien, missing tax ID or Social Security number.

Back to top



Q:   What is a Division Order?

A:   A Division Order is a directive signed on behalf of the Interest Owner verifying to the purchaser or operator of a well the decimal interest of production owned by the owner. It also provides the owner’s remittance address and taxpayer identification number.

Back to top

Q:   Who do I contact to determine the value of my mineral interest?

A:   Hilcorp does not provide any type of valuation or opinion of your interest.

Back to top

Q:   Where do I send documents to have them recorded?

A:   All heirship and conveyance documents must be filed of record with the parish or county where the property is located.

Back to top